Hempel House is a delightful example of a period house from the colonial era. It is set around a courtyard featuring a pond with tropical fish, turtles and sweet scented frangipani tree at its center. It has been tastefully restored by the Hempel Family who have been living there for the last eleven years. It is just 10 mins from Galle Fort and fifteen minutes from Unawatuna and the beaches of Thalpe.
The house is surrounded by a lush tropical garden which is a bird watchers paradise. Monkeys, mongoose, monitor lizards and squirrels dart amongst the trees. Whether having a lazy breakfast of Nalani’s delicious egg hoppers, or a long lunch of Sri Lankan curry, sambals and chutneys, (all from local produce or catch of the day) this is a place to relax and unwind. The open dining room faces onto the jungle, where women collecting firewood and buffalo stroll past. The house with its internal courtyard and pond is designed along the lines of a Buddhist mandala.
Guests can swim in our 50 ft swimming pool or at Thalpe beach just fifteen minutes away. If you are feeling more active the shops, restaurants and hotels of UNESCO world heritage protected Galle Fort are just ten minutes away while the surf beaches are within 20 to 30 minutes.
At sunset stroll through village streets, past corner shop vendors . Light an oil lamp at the local Buddhist temple, view a private show of Kandyian dances performing the devil dance under the stars, or just listen to the night sounds of the crickets, watching the fireflies with a glass of chilled wine in hand.
At the end of a long day, curl up in one of the antique four poster beds knowing the house is secure under the watchful eye of the Night Watchman, 3 dogs (one is a lovely great dane) and Minky the cat.
• A beautiful upstairs master bedroom (A/C) with inside outside bathroom.
• Two further double bedrooms (A/C) with ensuite bathrooms and one single bedroom (No A/C).
• Sleeps 7 Adults and extra beds for young children can be arranged if required.
• Two living rooms.
• Outside/inside dining area.
• Fully equipped modern kitchen for your complimentary breakfast.
• Washing machine.
• 50 ft Swimming Pool and Ambalama.
• Parking for three cars.
• Wireless internet.
• 10 minutes from Galle Fort & 15 minutes from the beaches of Thalpe.
• Including cook and house lady, Gardner and night security.
• Baby sitters by separate arrangement.
* IF YOU FIND A PRICE LOWER THAN OURS - WE CAN OFFER YOU CHEAPER
Prices from May 1, 2016 are available on request
Room rates include all taxes and service charges (VAT, City Tax, Bed Tax)