We checked in to Kadolana Eco last evening with a booking for 2 doubles and 2 triple rooms. The disappointment was instant,
- The two double rooms were no more than a shoe box with a nice veranda in the middle that also doubled up as the Managers Office!
- One Double Room did not have an attached toilet - it was outside, across the veranda. We ignored it as part of the "eco" experience.
- When the folks in the double room asked for an additional towel for their son, the Manager very rudely responded with a "Double Rooms get only two towels" - oops, we should have brought our own towels.
- When it started raining, the two "eco rooms" with coconut leaf roofing started to leak with rain drops wetting the mattresses - an eco experience more than we had expected!
- The last straw was the discovery of a "Sri Lankan Palm Civet'' (Kalawadda in Sinhala) inside the 'eco rooms', hissing and snarling at us! The staff were lost as to what to do -at 10.30pm we were now trapped in a leaking eco rooms in the company of a wild cat!
At this point, with crying kids and anxious wives, we all decided to leave the hotel. It was then that we were confronted with Tissa, the obnoxious manager who was clearly intoxicated after an evening drink - he went on to suggest we pay the full half board rate for all 4 rooms with scant appreciation of why we were leaving his hotel at 10.45pm. After some hard negotiation we paid for 2 rooms and dinner and drove out into the the night - a disaster of a holiday.
Avoid the eco rooms - no AC, leaking roof and resident Civet Cat!
See more room tips